Today, we’re chatting with Austin Church. Primarily, Austin runs a marketing and branding agency called Balernum, but he’s also a consultant, writer, entrepreneur, dad, and husband. He’s a multi-passionate, multi-talented guy with a full life. We talk a lot about how to “get it all done”, his idea of a holistic approach to productivity and work-life balance, and how all of that has less to do with productivity hacks and more to do with taking care of your most important asset: yourself.
Finish cooking the bacon first!
Some things we talk about in this episode:
- Do fewer things to have a stronger feeling of accomplishment
- Existential crisis and staying anchored
- Understanding that work-life balance is a joke, life is always unbalanced
- You are your biggest asset – take care of you
- How you spend your time matters in regard to your life’s purpose
- The Five Buckets exercise
- The false concept of work-life balance
- It is a privilege to enjoy your work but your work is not who you are
- The false concept of productivity
Questions for Austin:
Q: What are you reading?
A: Profit First
A: And books about bourbon!
Q: What’s your superpower?
A: Fake – Wisdom
A: Real – Caring
Q: What’s an exciting mission you/your team/your family on now?
A: DANCE LESSONS – helping a million freelancers make $100,000 so they can provide and care for the people they love and the thing the people they love enjoy doing.
Helpful links mentioned:
>> Questions to ask yourself:
Is your path being choked by a bunch of little things that keep you from pursuing your life’s purpose?
If work is fulfilling, why are you not fulfilled?
What does healthy [your name] look like?
>> The Five Buckets Exercise
Think of the five areas of life you want to put energy into every day (not boxes to be checked off).
This was a fulfilling day because I put my time and energy into… [your five things].
Thank you so much for tuning in to the BrainSpace Optimized Podcast! Want more?